Sunday, May 24, 2020

Finding a purpose

For the last 10+ years, I have struggled with finding my purpose and setting life goals. I have also had to deal with medical setbacks. In 2008, one year after graduating from college, I ended up in the hospital. My appendix had ruptured and I had to have emergency surgery.
After that, I had other complications due to the infection effecting other older health issues. This led to 3 more surgeries (2 of which were emergencies). All of this was in a time span of slightly over a month. When the doctors removed the staples from my incision (the appendix surgery), they told me to get up and move around. I did this with my dad's assistance. When I got back to my room and back into bed, the nurse came in to check on my incision. We found, the wound had split open. They proceeded to pack the wound until I was approved for a wound vacuum. I used this device until I developed an allergic reaction to the adhesive on the tape that was used to seal the vacuum.
These were further setbacks and I later learned, I'd developed an abdominal hernia (which I have yet to get repaired because of fear of future problems). The hernia throws my balance off further and it wasn't great to begin with because of my disability.

Anyway, going back to my initial topic. I graduated from college with the hope and intention of working in the music industry promoting bands. However, all of that came to a standstill after getting rejected by my dream job (working at a radio station where I had completed my internship), due to the economy, and my previously discussed health setbacks.

I have a bachelor's degree in Communications with a focus in Public Relations. I have thought about going back to school but because I have difficulty with being mobile due to my disability and other health issues, I don't think I would be able to find a job (especially since it would be necessary for me to work from home) and I don't think it would make sense, financially.

So, what do you do when you're trying to find your purpose in life? I, recently, watched a talk from Amy Purdy, Bethany Hamilton, Jim Kwik, and Lewis Howes. In it, they talked about bouncing back and finding your resiliency, especially in uncertain times like what we have going on in the world right now.
I thought it might help direct me and give me pointers. All of these people had some sort of direction though, when their setbacks and disabilities occurred. Which is not like my situation at all. My issues and disability began at birth. I respect these people (especially Amy and Bethany) but how could I tailor what they were saying, to fit me and my dilemma? I wasn't sure. I decided to center my blog around my disability. I don't know if it will help anyone other than myself but if it does, then I have found my purpose. It will still be about my daily activities and crafting but, hopefully, in a deeper way.

If you have questions and/or suggestions, please put them in comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment